About Deerfield

Launched in 1994, Deerfield Management Company is an investment firm dedicated to advancing healthcare through information, investment, and philanthropy—all toward the end goal of cures for disease, improved quality of life, and reduced cost of care.

Read More

Supporting companies across the healthcare ecosystem with flexible funding models…

Read More

Delivering market research to the Deerfield team, its portfolio companies and other partners.

Read More ---

A New York City-based not-for-profit devoted to advancing innovative health care initiatives.

Read More
Portfolio Companies

Deerfield generally maintains a combined portfolio of more than 150 private and public investments across the life science, medical device, diagnostic, digital health and health service industries at all stages of evolution from start-up to mature company.

Read More View Portfolio Companies
Research Collaborations

Deerfield partners with leading academic research centers, providing critical funding and expertise to further sustain and accelerate the commercialization of discoveries toward meaningful societal impact by advancing cures for disease.

Read More View Research Collaborations
Strategic Partners

As a strategic partner, Deerfield offers capital, scientific expertise, business operating support, and unique access to innovation.

Read More
Deerfield Foundation

The Deerfield Foundation is a New York City-based not-for-profit organization whose mission is to improve health, accelerate innovation and promote human equity.

Read More Meet the Foundation Team
Cure Campus

Cure is a 12-story innovations campus in New York City that intends to bring together innovators from academia, government, industry, and the not-for-profit sectors to advance human health and accelerate the fight against disease.

Read More Join the Cure Email List
Cure Programming

Cure has a series of expert lectures intended to advance thought in healthcare, management, innovation, policy, and other relevant subjects. This fosters growth and education for those at Cure and its guests.

Events at the Cure

Communication practices and awareness of resources for acromegaly patients among endocrinologists


This study was designed to assess the awareness and utilization of resources to improve patients’ treatment experiences among endocrinologists who currently treat patients with acromegaly.


A total of 4,280 US endocrinologists were randomly selected from the CMS National Plan and Provider Enumeration System and were invited by mail to participate in a 20-minute online survey. In order to qualify, respondents had to be the primary physician making treatment decisions for at least one patient for their acromegaly.


Results are based on responses from 126 physicians from primarily urban and suburban practices, with a median of five acromegaly patients. A total of 70% of patients are currently receiving drug therapy; among these, 91% are on octreotide (51%), lanreotide (29%), or pasireotide (11%), alone or in combination with another therapy. Nearly half of the respondents thought that the impact of patient adherence on therapy outcome for acromegaly was either not very (40%) or not at all (7%) significant. Respondents who believe patient adherence significantly impacts treatment outcome were significantly more likely to discuss automated adherence reminders (50% vs 26%; P=0.015), mobile administration programs (57% vs 35%; P=0.029), and symptom tracking (72% vs 42%; P=0.002). Overall, 44% of respondents routinely recommend education/emotional support programs, and 25% routinely recommend financial assistance programs. Respondents who believe patient adherence significantly impacts treatment outcome generally were more familiar with individual education and emotional support programs compared to those who do not, although they were not more likely to routinely refer patients to any of these resources.


There are unmet needs with respect to increasing awareness among physicians of the importance of patient adherence to therapy, resources available to patients, and how collaboration among patients, nurses, and physicians can improve adherence and overall treatment experiences.

Keywords: financial support programs, emotional support programs, referrals