Your privacy is important to us. This Candidate and Consultant Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes how Deerfield Management Company, L.P., a Delaware series limited partnership (Series C) and our affiliates (“we,” “our”, “us” or “Deerfield”) uses your Personal Information when you apply for a job or other role and/or are engaged as a consultant with us or, where applicable, one of our portfolio companies, who we share it with, and how you can contact us if you have questions or concerns. Please read this Notice carefully prior to submitting any Personal Information to us.
Please note that if you apply for a position and/or are engaged as a consultant directly with one of our portfolio companies, the collection and use of your Personal Information by that company is covered by that company’s own privacy notice. Should you have questions about how our portfolio companies may collect or use your Personal Information, please contact such companies directly.
Information We Collect
When you apply to work with us and/or are engaged as a consultant, we will collect, store, and use your Personal Information throughout the application and recruitment process and/or engagement. We may also collect, store, and use your Personal Information when you apply for employment and/or are engaged as a consultant to one of our portfolio companies where we act on such company’s behalf for recruiting or employment onboarding purposes or other operational matters.
The categories of Personal Information that we may collect about you include:
- Identifiers, including your name, contact information (e.g., home address, phone number, email address), passport number, work permit or visa information, your employment and education history, referrals or references, and any other information you provide (e.g., information included in your resume or cover letter).
- Data with Special Protections, like your gender, marital status, veteran status and race/ethnicity. This may also include any special needs or health condition and information relating to accommodations that you may request during the recruiting or engagement process, if you disclose such information.
- Professional or Employment Information, including information about your desired salary, willingness to relocate, other job preferences, interview details, and the outcomes of any recruiting exercises you complete.
- Education Information, including information about your educational background.
Use of Information
We use the Personal Information described above in the context of our consideration of your application for employment and/or other engagement at Deerfield or, where applicable, our portfolio companies. Our business purposes for collecting this information may include:
For Job Candidates:
To consider you for, and assess your suitability for, employment opportunities with Deerfield or our portfolio companies, for example:
- To receive, review and reply to your application;
- To verify the information you or others provide, and to check your references;
- To assess your suitability for the opportunity you applied for, and in certain cases, for other opportunities at Deerfield or our portfolio companies;
- To communicate with you about the interview and recruiting process;
- To prepare an offer letter, if your application is successful;
- If you were referred, to inform the referrer of the status and final outcome of your application; and/or
- In order to suggest suitable opportunities for you at Deerfield or our portfolio companies (in addition to the company or position you may have applied for or expressed interest in).
To maintain and improve our recruiting processes, for internal planning and management reporting, and to comply with laws and regulations, for example:
- To manage and improve our recruiting processes, for example, to make the application process easier and more efficient;
- To prepare and perform management reporting and to perform analysis related to recruiting metrics, such as the length of the recruiting process;
- To defend your or our interest in actual or threatened legal proceedings, or regulatory, administrative, or legislative compliance, inquiries or investigations; and/or
- To create and submit reports as required by applicable law or regulation, such as confirming that you are eligible to work under applicable immigration laws. If you accept a conditional offer from us or one of our portfolio companies, we may process your information for background verification (to the extent permitted by applicable laws) and, where applicable, you will receive further information regarding this processing upon start of the background verification process.
- To contact you or otherwise provide you with information or to uphold our responsibilities under any agreement with you;
- To respond to requests about our investment management services; and/or
- For internal business purposes, such as auditing, data analytics and research to create, develop, operate, deliver and improve our investment management services.
Disclosure of Personal Information
For Job Candidates: Your Personal Information will be shared with people within Deerfield who have a “need to know” the information in connection with the recruitment process. We may share the following categories of Personal Information with third parties: 1) Identifiers; 2) Professional or Employment Information; and/or 3) Education Information. We may share these categories of Personal Information with our portfolio companies where we act on such companies’ behalf for recruiting or employment onboarding purposes. We may also share this Personal Information with our third-party service providers, who provide services such as recruiting assistance, background checks, processing, and similar services.
For Consultants and Generally: We may share the following categories of Personal Information to certain third parties in a limited number of additional circumstances: 1) Identifiers; 2) Professional or Employment Information; and/or 3) Education Information. These additional circumstances may include disclosure to third parties with whom Deerfield works to enhance its proprietary research database it uses in connection with its investment management services. It may also include disclosure to third parties with whom Deerfield works to assist us in upholding our responsibilities under any agreement with you.
We may disclose your Personal Information to third parties for business purposes, which include:
- To respond to a subpoena or court order, judicial process or regulatory inquiry;
- To protect or defend against fraud, lawsuits, claims or other liabilities;
- To protect the security of our systems, or to protect our rights or property;
- To connection with a proposed or actual sale, merger, or transfer of all or a portion of Deerfield’s business; and
- To otherwise assist Deerfield with its research in connection with its offering investment management services.
Based upon where you are located, certain choices and rights with regards to your Personal Information may be available to you. Please see below for information on how to contact us to exercise these rights.
For individuals located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”): Under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), you have the have the following rights:
- The right to object to our processing of your Personal Information.
- The right to request that your Personal Information be erased or restricted from further use.
- The right to request a copy of the Personal Information we hold about you.
- The right to correct, amend, or update Personal Information you have given us.
- The right of portability, which allows you to request that we share your information with others.
- The right to contact or submit a complaint regarding our privacy practices to the EU data protection authority where you have your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement.
Deerfield does not engage in any automated decision-making.
When handling a data access or correction request, we check the identity of the requesting party to ensure that he or she is the person legally entitled to make such request. Such requests are provided free of charge, however, a reasonable fee may be applied to cover our administrative costs incurred for requests that are manifestly unfounded, excessive, or repetitive.
We will only collect, store, or otherwise process Personal Information collected from you in the EEA in the following situations:
- When we have your consent to do so. For example, if you opt in to receive promotional emails. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
- When we need to use your Personal Information to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you.
- When we have a legitimate interest in processing your Personal Information. For example, we may process your Personal Information to communicate with you about our business or potential employment opportunities. You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Information that is based on our legitimate interests.
- When we are required by law to process the information.
Deerfield takes the security of Personal Information provided to us very seriously, and we have implemented commercially reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to try to ensure the protection of your Personal Information. We only keep your Personal Information for as long as required to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Notice and for any legal purpose for which we are obligated to keep the information. When we no longer need your Personal Information, we will delete and/or destroy the information per our data destruction policies.
Your Personal Information may be transferred across national borders and may be accessed by Deerfield vendors and suppliers from countries with varying degrees of protection for your Personal Information. In the event that Deerfield transfers your Personal Information across international borders, it will execute adequate data transfer mechanisms, including the EU Standard Contractual Clauses (SCCs) as necessary to meet the requirements of applicable data protection laws.
Changes to this Notice
Deerfield reserves the right to change this Notice at any time and without notice. If Deerfield does change this Notice, Deerfield will update the “Last Updated” date at the bottom of this Notice and will post any such modified Notice on www.deerfield.com (the “Site”). Any change will be effective immediately upon posting on the Site. You should review this Notice each time you access the Site to see the most recent version.
Contact Info for Questions, Comments, Complaints and to Exercise Your Rights
If you have any questions or comments about this Notice, if you would like to exercise any of your privacy rights as described in the Notice or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us at 888-532-7488 and ask to speak with a member of our Privacy Team or send an email to [email protected]. Before helping with your inquiry, we may ask to verify your identity in accordance with applicable law.
You may also write to us at:
Attn: Privacy Team
Deerfield Management Company
345 Park Avenue South, 12th Floor
New York, New York 10010
Last Updated: January 2021